Taxpayer Assistance

The Wayne County Treasurer's Office offers various plans to assist distressed taxpayers in paying delinquent taxes.

  Interest Reduction Stipulated Payment Agreement (IRSPA)

Struggling to pay years of delinquent property taxes? You may qualify to be enrolled in the Interest Reduction Stipulated Payment Agreement (IRSPA). This payment plan reduces the interest rate from 18% to 6% for eligible taxpayers. To sign up, you must own and live in your home, and have a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) that proves permanent residency.

Under IRSPA, all delinquencies can be bundled into one payment plan. IRSPA enrollment expires June 30th, 2019.

To see if you qualify, call 1-313-224-5990 or email us at





Stipulated Payment Agreement (SPA)

Available to everybody, this plan allows a taxpayer to pay taxes pursuant to a payment schedule. The plan will avoid foreclosure provided that payments are submitted per the agreed upon schedule. To be effective the plan must be signed by both the taxpayer and the Treasurer's Office.

Click on the button below to get started!



Distressed Owner Occupant Extension (DOOE)

This program is not available to everyone. In order to qualify for the DOOE you must:

  • Own the property and have proof of ownership through a deed with your name on it.
  • Live in the property and have proof of occupancy shown through a utility bill or other document.
  • Be suffering financial hardship and show that through an affidavit or other documentation showing your financial distress.
  • You must have proof of your identity with a government issued driver's license or ID.

Click on the button below to get started!




As a Veteran you will be allowed to enter into a Payment Plan without a down payment (on your principal residence) as long as you are able to provide one of following documents:

  • Honorable Discharge Certifications papers

  •  DD-214 Form referencing an Honorable Discharge

For further information please contact our office at 313-224-5990.



 GreenPath Financial Wellness

Treasurer Sabree encourages residents to take the ‘GreenPath’ to sustained home ownership

Wayne County homeowners who have entered into payment plans for their back taxes have an opportunity to obtain free financial counseling under a partnership with GreenPath Financial Wellness, it was announced today.

“As the Treasurer for Wayne County, I want to do everything within my power to help people be successful with making their payments and keep their homes,” said Treasurer Eric Sabree.  “Now that we have thousands of taxpayers in payment plans, our goal is to make sure that each person continues to make their monthly payments.  GreenPath can give taxpayers the financial tools necessary to accomplish this.”

Greenpath’s Mission Statement is “Empowering People to Live Financially Healthy Lives.”  They do this by helping people gain control over their finances so they can pay bills on time, build a financial cushion, and create a household budget to avoid financial stress.

These services are not only available to taxpayers who own and live in their home; they are also available to taxpayers in any type of payment plan.  The only requirement is that they have to have sufficient income to make the required payments. If a taxpayer has absolutely no income, this program will not help them.  This program is for those people who want to learn how to better manage their money.

GreenPath has established a phone number with counselors dedicated to helping Wayne County taxpayers.  Call 1-877-290-5276 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays to speak with a live counselor.  Taxpayers can also leave a message outside of these hours and their call will be returned.


In addition, there is a GreenPath counselor available on-site at the Treasurer’s office every Tuesday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. No appointment is necessary.


Counseling sessions are typically 30-60 minutes and will include the following:

Credit report review
Income and expense review
Answering credit report questions
Development of a plan for your money


”Financial education is assistance that can benefit people for the rest of their lives”, Sabree said, “so please take advantage of this service.”


To contact the Wayne County Treasurer’s office send an email to, visit us at 400 Monroe in Greektown, or call 313-224-5990.  Other Financial Aid Programs homeowners should be aware of include:

Wayne County Department of Human Services – DHS (formerly Family Independence Agency) can be contacted at (313) 456-1000. This is a general number from which you can obtain the phone number and address of your local DHS office. You can also simply go to your local office and apply for State Emergency Relief (SER). Offices are located throughout Wayne County.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund, Wayne County Office, (313) 224-5045. If you are a veteran with at least 6 months of wartime duty, you may qualify for financial assistance.

Wayne County Veteran Affairs (Soldiers and Sailors Relief Fund), (313) 224-5045. If you are a veteran with any wartime service and an honorable discharge, you may qualify.

Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS) – (313) 842-7010, Help is available to those who qualify and is not limited to those of Arabic ethnicity.

City of Detroit Human Services Department, Central Operations Division – (313) 852-5634. (Detroit Homeowners only.)

For Wayne County communities outside of Detroit, you may contact your local city hall for information concerning local funds available to assist you.


Many banks and mortgage companies offer a variety of mortgages and loans. It is ALWAYS advisable to obtain counseling when seeking a mortgage to pay your taxes to prevent foreclosure. There are reputable non-profit organizations in some communities that provide home buyer and mortgage counseling. (If you live in Detroit, call the City of Detroit Planning Commission at (313) 224-7887 to find such a group.)

Eric R. Sabree
Wayne County Treasurer
(313) 224-5990

Service Assistant

How can we assist?
Ask a question or describe the service or information you're looking for!
I need to pay my property taxes.
How can I contact my commissioner?
How can I report a road hazard?

View All Services