The Land Resource Management Division (LRMD) focuses on protecting the land resources of the County through their solid waste and soil erosion programs. This is accomplished with regulatory programs operating to ensure Wayne County residents that solid waste disposal and construction practices are environmentally sound. The Solid Waste Program oversees solid waste landfills, transfer stations, and processing facilities in the County and enforces both County and State regulations. The Soil Erosion Program is active in 34 communities within Wayne County covering over 80% of the land area. This program works to protect the waters of the State from the impact of sediment deposition through the enforcement of both state and county regulations. As part of the Solid Waste and Soil Erosion Programs, LRMD responds to complaints as necessary 24 hours a day.
Additional responsibilities of the LRMD include Solid Waste Planning, which entails development and enforcement of Wayne County's Solid Waste Management Plan. In this capacity, LRMD provides direction and education on recycling and composting, both of which are successful methods of reducing the volume of waste disposed of within the county. LRMD also hosts frequently scheduled collection events for household hazardous waste, electronic waste, and scrap tires.
Dates for the 2016 Household Hazardous Waste collections will be announced in January 2016.
Goals and Objectives
Solid Waste Program
- Provide regulatory oversight of solid waste facilities within Wayne County to minimize the impact to residents and the environment.
- To minimize the impact of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) by providing information on proper disposal and by hosting HHW collection events throughout Wayne County.
- Provide assistance to communities and community groups looking for help in preventing illegal dumping.
- Increase the awareness of the need for recycling of waste materials as a means of reducing reliance on landfills.
Soil Erosion Program
- Provide regulatory oversight of earth change activities in Wayne County communities under our jurisdiction to minimize the impact to residents and the environment.
- Provide timely review and issuance of Soil Erosion permits to applicants to prevent an undue burden on communities and developers during the construction and development process.