Solid Waste Planning

All counties in the state are required to prepare and implement a solid waste management plan. The Wayne County Solid Waste Management Plan is a comprehensive strategy that reduces dependency on landfills, promotes recycling and composting, and ensures that facilities sited within the County will serve the long-term disposal needs of Wayne County citizens. The Solid Waste Management Planning Section is responsible for all planning activities, enforcement of Plan provisions, data gathering (including waste generation initiatives and disposal and recycling rates), and providing for technical assistance to citizens and businesses in the County. The staff works closely with other governmental agencies in all areas of solid waste management.
Program Overview

John Demerjian 
Resource Recovery Coordinator


Riverview Landfill Expansion – Notice of Public Meeting
A meeting of the Wayne County Facility Inclusion Committee was held on Thursday, September 14, 2017 at Arnaldo’s Banquet Center, 18275 Quarry Rd. in Riverview. The meeting was held to consider the City of Riverview’s application for a proposed expansion of their municipal solid waste landfill to be included into Wayne County’s Solid Waste Management Plan.

Riverview Landfill Expansion – Notice of Public Comment Period
The City of Riverview has submitted an application for a proposed expansion of their municipal solid waste landfill located at 20863 Grange Rd. to be included in Wayne County’s Solid Waste Management Plan. Written comments on the proposal will be accepted until August 30, 2017. Please click on the links below to review a copy of the application.  Comments may be submitted to: Wayne County Facility Inclusion Committee, 3600 Commerce Ct., Wayne, MI 48184 or by e-mail to

Solid Waste Management Plan

Where to Take Waste

  • Disposal of Home Medical Sharps - The Wayne County Department of Public Services encourages safe disposal of sharps. Sharps include syringes, needles, and lancets. Unsafe disposal can cause injury to others and contamination of the environment. You can help prevent injury, illness, and pollution by following some simple steps when you dispose of the sharp objects and contaminated materials you use in administering health care in your home. For information on disposal options, click here.
  • Disposal of Unused or Unwanted Drugs - The U.S. Government has found that 80% of watersheds contain low levels of at least one type of pharmaceutical chemical, with half of our streams containing seven or more. Wastewater treatment facilities can’t filter these chemicals out, so many drugs are being detected in drinking water. The effects of most of these products are unknown, but increased concentrations of antibiotics in drinking water have produced "super bugs" - bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. The risks of long-term exposure of these substances to humans and animals are unknown. While recommended for many years, the practice of flushing unused or unwanted drugs down the drain is not the best option for human health or the environment. For proper disposal procedures, click here.
  • Disposal of Used Electronics - Continual and rapid changes in the technology field can make high-technology equipment like computers, televisions, phones and other products obsolete very quickly. Many options are now in place to accept old and unwanted electronic items for recycling. Recycling outdated electronics helps in the safe management of their potentially hazardous components and supports the recovery and reuse of valuable materials. It also helps reduce the pollution and energy use tied to the production of new electronics. For information on how to recycle your used electronics, click here. For a list of e-waste items accepted, click here.
  • Resource Recovery Guide - To download your complete resource for reuse, recycling, and disposal, click here.

Additional Program Information


Main Office
(313) 224-3620

Service Assistant

How can we assist?
Ask a question or describe the service or information you're looking for!
I need to pay my property taxes.
How can I contact my commissioner?
How can I report a road hazard?

View All Services