Land Resource Management
Additional responsibilities of the LRMD include Solid Waste Planning, which entails development and enforcement of Wayne County's Solid Waste Management Plan. In this capacity, LRMD provides direction and education on recycling and composting, both of which are successful methods of reducing the volume of waste disposed of within the county. LRMD also hosts frequently scheduled collection events for household hazardous waste, electronic waste, and scrap tires.
Upcoming EventsWayne County anticipates resuming large scale household hazardous waste collection events in 2022 and is working on interim options for residential disposal that will be announced soon. All information regarding updates to the program will be posted here when they are scheduled so keep an eye on this space.
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events
In the meantime, there are other resources available for you to manage your waste materials:
- You can download our "Wayne County Recycles" app from Google Play or the App store. It provides options for safe disposal on a
wide variety of household hazardous waste and electronic waste items.
- An online version of our application can be found on our website here. At the bottom of the page you will see the
"Resource Recovery Guide" where you can type in the name of an item and receive safe disposal options.
- Our processing contractor, Environmental Recycling Group in Livonia, accepts residential drop off of HHW by appointment for a fee.
You can call them at 734-437-9650.
For the press release concerning the cancelation of the 2020 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events, please click here.
Goals and Objectives
Solid Waste Program
- Provide regulatory oversight of solid waste facilities within Wayne County to minimize the impact to residents and the environment.
- To minimize the impact of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) by providing information on proper disposal and by hosting HHW collection events throughout Wayne County.
- Provide assistance to communities and community groups looking for help in preventing illegal dumping.
- Increase the awareness of the need for recycling of waste materials as a means of reducing reliance on landfills.
Soil Erosion Program
- Provide regulatory oversight of earth change activities in Wayne County communities under our jurisdiction to minimize the impact to residents and the environment.
- Provide timely review and issuance of Soil Erosion permits to applicants to prevent an undue burden on communities and developers during the construction and development process.