Land Resource Management
Additional responsibilities of the LRMD include Solid Waste Planning, which entails development and enforcement of Wayne County's Solid Waste Management Plan. In this capacity, LRMD provides direction and education on recycling and composting, both of which are successful methods of reducing the volume of waste disposed of within the county. LRMD also hosts frequently scheduled collection events for household hazardous waste, electronic waste, and scrap tires.
Upcoming EventsWayne County is resuming large scale household hazardous waste (HHW) collection events in 2022.
2022 Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events
All 2022 HHW events will be posted on this page.
- Westland HHW event - 4/2/2022 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Please click here to view the event flyer.
- Dearborn HHW event - 7/9/2022 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Please click here to view the event flyer.
- Taylor HHW event - 10/15/2022 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Please click here to view the event flyer.
Wayne County is now also offering a recycling voucher program to Wayne County residents. This pilot program will allow residents to dispose and recycle of their household hazardous waste five days a week at our contractors Livonia site. Please call 734-326-5708 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request your free voucher. Note that supplies are limited and vouchers are available on a first come, first served basis. Please click here to view the HHW flyer.
In the meantime, there are other resources available for you to manage your waste materials:
- You can download our "Wayne County Recycles" app from Google Play or the App store. It provides options for safe disposal on a
wide variety of household hazardous waste and electronic waste items.
- An online version of our application can be found on our website here. At the bottom of the page you will see the
"Resource Recovery Guide" where you can type in the name of an item and receive safe disposal options.
- Our processing contractor, Environmental Recycling Group in Livonia, accepts residential drop off of HHW by appointment for a fee.
You can call them at 734-437-9650.
Comerica Bank is offering a shred day on June 11, 2022 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The event will be held at Comerica Bank Livonia Operation Center 39200 W. Six Mile Livonia, MI 48152. Please click here for more infomation.
Goals and Objectives
Solid Waste Program
- Provide regulatory oversight of solid waste facilities within Wayne County to minimize the impact to residents and the environment.
- To minimize the impact of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) by providing information on proper disposal and by hosting HHW collection events throughout Wayne County.
- Provide assistance to communities and community groups looking for help in preventing illegal dumping.
- Increase the awareness of the need for recycling of waste materials as a means of reducing reliance on landfills.
Soil Erosion Program
- Provide regulatory oversight of earth change activities in Wayne County communities under our jurisdiction to minimize the impact to residents and the environment.
- Provide timely review and issuance of Soil Erosion permits to applicants to prevent an undue burden on communities and developers during the construction and development process.