Construction Permit Office
Under the State of Michigan's County Road Law, the Wayne County Department of Public Services is responsible to maintain roads under its jurisdiction in "reasonable repair so that it is reasonably safe and convenient for public travel." Regulation and control of all right-of-way work are necessary to provide efficient and safe operation and to utilize the full potential of the roadway investment.
The Department of Public Services Permit Office carries out this mandate by conducting the following operations:
Review engineering plans and issue permits for the construction operation, maintenance and/or removal of facilities within road right-of-ways, drain or property under County jurisdiction.
Review engineering plans and issue permits for all construction impacting storm water runoff into right-of-ways, drain easements and land under County jurisdiction according to provisions of the Wayne County Storm Water Ordinance . Review preliminary and final subdivision plans for conformance with Wayne County standards.
Approve connections to County sanitary interceptor sewers and/or municipal sewer systems.
Issue citizen permits for residential driveways.
To inspect all permit work within County road right-of-way and township subdivisions.
DPS Engineering Division - Construction Permits
|RULES, SPECIFICATIONS AND PROCEDURES FOR CONSTRUCTION PERMITS||STANDARD PLANS FOR PERMIT CONSTRUCTION|
|Permit Application Kit Includes:||Contains the rules, specifications, procedures and requirements for conducting construction permit work in Wayne County. - Revised January 2020||Approved construction standards, typical drawings, details and notes. Use those that apply when preparing construction plans.|
Index to Standard Plans
|Construction Permit Application Kit||Permit Manual||Permit Standards |
WHEN IS A CONSTRUCTION PERMIT NECESSARY?
Any individual or organization that desires to perform work in the public road right-of-way or on County owned property or on a County drain easement must secure a permit that authorizes the activity. Examples of work that typically require a permit are:
- Adding or improving a driveway approach, sidewalk, storm drain, sewer line or water line.
- Adding, improving or maintaining a public or private utility, pipeline, wire, conduit, sewer, etc.
- Surveying and other engineering operations.
- Placing a banner, decoration or similar object.
- Right-of-way encroachment.
- Closing a section of road for a parade, celebration, festival, demonstration or similar activity.
- Grading or excavation, landscaping, tree trimming or tree removal.
- Any construction activity that impacts storm water runoff into or around road rights-of-way, in or
around County drains, within new subdivisions, mobile home developments, new condominium developments or property owned by the County; e.g. Wayne County Parks.
For more information, view the Permit Office' Frequently Asked Questions.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A CONSTRUCTION PERMIT
To apply for a permit, submit an application package containing the following:
- Completed Wayne County Permit Application
- Minimum (3) three sets of plans
- For a commercial application, a completed Commercial Construction Plan Checklist
- For a residential application, a completed Residential Construction Plan Checklist
- Payment for plan review costs (Plan Review Cost Schedule)
The information can be mailed or brought to:
Wayne County DPS Permit Office
Attn: Hikmat Kessem, PE
33809 Michigan Avenue
Wayne, MI 48184
Ph: (734) 858-2755, Fax: (734) 595-6356