Font Size:

Frequently Asked Questions

Common Tax Problems
Have you refinanced lately?

Many people find that their mortgage company did not pay their taxes. This can happen during the transitional period following a refinance. Please be sure that your mortgage company is paying the taxes.

Do you have an escrow account for your taxes?

Taxes are often left unpaid because mortgage companies miss paying them. Please watch your mortgage statements or call your local township/city treasurer's office to check that your taxes are being paid promptly. Although the mortgage company is responsible for making the payment, it is the property owner's responsibility to see that the taxes are being paid.

Tax Information
Did you know?
To find out if you qualify for assistance with delinquent property taxes through the Poverty Tax Exemption, make sure to reach out to your local assessing unit.
I did not receive my current tax bill. Who do I need to contact and can you waive penalty and interest?

Your current tax bill is issued by your local township/city treasurer's office. Any questions or concerns regarding your current tax bill payment must be directed to your local treasurer's office. The Wayne County Treasurer's Office cannot waive penalties and interest. The State holds the taxpayer responsible to know that taxes are paid on time.

What is a delinquent tax?

If current taxes that were billed by your local treasurer in July and December are left unpaid, they are forwarded as delinquent to the Wayne County Treasurer for collection.

Can taxes be paid with a personal check?

Yes, March - December of the year the taxes become delinquent. We then recommend a cashier's check, money order, or cash. Please make checks payable to WAYNE COUNTY TREASURER'S OFFICE.

How do I obtain a copy of a delinquent tax bill?

A copy of a delinquent tax bill may be obtained by mailing your request to our offices. Please include in your letter the property address and, if available, parcel ID information. Mail your request to:

Wayne County Treasurer's Office
ATTN: Tax Bill Request
400 Monroe Street, 5th Floor
Detroit, MI 48226

What is my parcel number?

You can get your parcel number from a tax bill or call your local treasurer or assessor's office.

Where is my parcel located?

You can find your parcel Id number on your tax bill. If you do not have a current or delinquent tax bill, you can also obtain your parcel Id number from your local treasurer or assessor's office.

I am no longer the owner of this property and I keep getting delinquent notices. How do I get my name removed from the tax bill?

Our office does not have the authority to remove your name from a tax bill. You must visit the local assessor's office within the municipality of where this home is located with proof of sale, deed or property transfer to have your name removed from the property.

How do I find out how much my taxable value is to my house?

You need to contact your local treasurer or assessor's office for further information.

How do I know if I am receiving the Homestead Credit?

You need to contact your local treasurer or assessor's office.

I received a tax increase due to a Board of Review or Michigan Tax Tribunal appeal. Who do I need to contact regarding my new tax amount?

If you were granted a tax increase or decrease due to an appeal through the Board of Review or Tax Tribunal, you need to contact your local assessor's office or the Michigan Tax Tribunal for explanation.

Can I make automatic payments for my monthly tax bill?

If a taxpayer would like to set up automatic monthly payments to come directly to the Wayne County Treasurer's Office they have one of two options listed below.

  1. Contact their banking institution and inquire about the policy on setting up direct recurring payments. Please be sure to advise your banking institution to reference your name, the parcel identification number, address and the tax year the payment should be applied to.
  2. Go to our website at click on the heading Tax Payment Options, select Pay Taxes Online and enter the required information.
It is up to the taxpayer to stop these monthly payments through their financial institution once their payment plans are paid in full or they no longer wish to have the payments taken from their account.
Forfeiture / Foreclosure

Delinquent taxes

In 1999, a Michigan law, Public Act 123 (MCL 211.78) significantly shortened the time property owners have to pay their delinquent taxes before losing their property. Property owners with taxes that are 2 years delinquent may be foreclosed and the property can be sold at a public auction. Not paying taxes will result in higher interest charges and fees. The interest rate on taxes that are delinquent for more than one year is 1.5% per month. The forfeiture fee is $175 plus administrative fees.

What does it mean to be in forfeiture? Does that mean I lose the property?

No. Forfeiture is not foreclosure. If your property is in forfeiture, you still have a year before it will be foreclosed. However, the interest and fees will be higher. When a property is forfeited, the interest rate changes from 1% per month to 1.5% per month, retroactive to the date the taxes became delinquent and a $175 fee is added.

What happens after my property is in forfeiture?

Forfeited taxes are still payable until the following March. However, interest and penalty fees will continue to accrue each month the taxes remains unpaid.

Will I receive any notification before my property is foreclosed?

Yes. The Wayne County Treasurer sends at least 10 notices. This is well beyond the statutory requirement. There are 4 first class notices, 3 certified notices, at least 1 personal visit, and 2 occupant first class mailings.

When are property auctions held?

September and October of the year foreclosed. Properties are offered for a minimum bid that consists of all delinquent taxes, penalties and interest. Properties not sold at the September auction are then offered at our October auction. Successful bidders will receive a Quit Claim deed to the property.

Can I make partial payments?

Partial payments will be accepted. You can send in whatever amount you wish to be applied to your taxes. Should you wish to receive a paid tax statement reflecting the amount paid as well as the balance due amount each time you make a payment you must send a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment.

What if I simply do not have the ability to pay my taxes?
The Wayne County Treasurer's Office offers various payment plans to assist taxpayers with paying delinquent taxes. You may also be able to get assistance or free legal help from our community partners.

For more information, click on the links below:
Payment Plans Community Partners

If you have any questions or need any additional information or assistance, you can also email us at
How do I obtain a list of properties with delinquent taxes in a particular community or for the entire county?

Foreclosed homes that may be available for auction are listed on our main website at the link below:

Click here

How can I purchase a home that shows delinquent taxes are owed?

It is our goal to make every effort to notify homeowners of any delinquent taxes on their property to prevent it from being sold at auction. A listing of public auction dates and the properties available will be posted at the following link.

Auction Information

These Public Auctions usually take place in late summer and in the fall.

Financial Hardship

Who can apply?

Anyone that owns their property (by recorded deed or land contract), and occupies the property as their principal residence and is facing a substantial financial hardship.

How do I apply?

You can request an application by calling our office at (313) 224-5990, by sending a request by mail, by emailing us at

You may also download the application from our website

You can also stop by our office in the International Center Building: 400 Monroe, 5th Floor, Detroit, MI 48226. An appointment is required and a face covering must be worn.

What do I need to apply?

You need valid photo ID, either a Michigan Driver's License or State ID, a copy of the deed to the property, proof that you occupy the property as your principal residence (such as a utility bill) and proof of your income.

What level of income will be accepted?

Our income standards are 125% of the Federal Poverty Level and represent a "living wage". If your income is just above these levels and you are facing a substantial financial hardship you should apply anyway and we will take your situation into consideration.

How will I know the outcome of my application?

Our Taxpayer Assistance Department Staff will review your application and will notify you within 30 days of receipt of the completed application.

What if I received an Extension last year, can I apply again?

Yes, if you received a Hardship Extension last year and paid that delinquency off and are still facing a financial hardship then you can apply again.

If I am granted the extension, how much time do I have to pay?

You will have until March 31, 2025 to pay the full amount of taxes.

Will the Application to Withhold Property from Foreclosure due to Substantial Financial Hardship reduce or eliminate my taxes?
No, once taxes are billed they cannot be reduced by the Wayne County Treasurer and interest and fees will continue to add up as well. You may, however, qualify for an exemption from taxes that could reduce or eliminate future taxes. To find out if you qualify and to apply contact your city or township assessor's office.
What if I don't own my home?

If you don't hold title to your property and need legal assistance to get the property in your name, you can contact United Community Housing Coalition at (313) 963-3310 or Legal Aid and Defender's Office at (313) 964-4130. They can give legal advice and explain your options.

What is the deadline to apply for a Distressed Owner Occupant Extension?

The deadline for application is April 1, 2024.

Who can I contact for more information and to obtain an application for Financial Hardship Extension?

You can get information by emailing our office at, calling our office (313) 224-5990 or writing to Wayne County Treasurer, Attn: Taxpayer Assistance, 400 Monroe, Ste. 530, Detroit, MI 48226 or by visiting our website at

Payment Information
Where and how can I pay my delinquent taxes?

For a list of tax payment options, click on the link below:

Tax Payment Options

Partial payments are also accepted. You can send in whatever amount you wish to be applied to your taxes. Should you desire a receipt you should provide a self-addressed stamped envelope or request an electronic receipt through our website. Partial payments can only be accepted by mail or in-person.

Online Payments
What are the benefits of paying my delinquent taxes on the Internet?
  • It's fast - the payment process takes only a few minutes.
  • It's accurate - verification steps guide you along the way, you are able to review payment information before it is sent.
  • It's convenient - this payment option is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, without having to leave the comfort of your home.
  • It's easy to use - the screens are self-explanatory and help buttons are there to guide you through the process.
  • It's secure - Wayne County maintains a high level of security on the Internet.
What do I need in order to pay by electronic debit (ACH)?

You will need the parcel ID number (viewable on the delinquent listing screens) for the property that you are submitting payment for, name and address, an e-mail address for payment confirmation, and your checking or savings account number.

Is there a fee to pay my delinquent taxes by electronic debit (ACH)?

No. The electronic debit option is free at no cost to you.

Do you accept credit card payments?

Yes. This site is authorized to accept Visa, MasterCard, or American Express. Taxpayers using this service will incur a service charge of 2.49% of the total taxes paid. The fee is paid to the service provider, not the Wayne County Treasurer.

How will I know if my payment was received?

As soon as the process is completed, you will receive an e-mail confirmation. To receive a receipt you can send the Treasurer a self-addressed stamped envelope indicating the parcel ID and date of payment. You can also re-visit the 'Pay Taxes Online' screen five days after the payment was made and request to receive a receipt via email. The screen that displays what is due has a red box that you can click on and make the request.

Why is the "PAY" button not showing on my screen?
If your parcel is in bankruptcy or one of your previous payments was returned by your financial institution then payment is accepted only in person and not via the website. Please determine the status of your parcel or call our office at (313) 224-5990 during normal business hours.
When I click on the "Pay Now" button nothing happens

Security blocks may be in place on your computer that restrict certain functions. Try holding down the "ctrl" key when clicking on the "Pay Now" button. This may override the security block. For further assistance, please call our office at (313) 224-5990 during normal business hours.

I entered a wrong account number. What happens to my payment?

Even though you received an e-mail confirmation for your payment, your payment can still be cancelled. Once the bank notifies us of the cancellation, your payment will be then considered as delinquent. There will also be a $25 cancellation fee added to the unpaid balance.

Freedom of Information Act

The Act MCLA 15.231 et seq regulates and sets requirements for the disclosure of public records by public bodies within the state. A public record is writing prepared, owned, and used, in the possession of, or retained by a public body in the performance of an official function, from the time it is created. In general, all records except those cited as exceptions are covered by the Act.

What is the Freedom of Information Act?

The Michigan Freedom of Information Act as amended by 1996 PA 553 regulates and sets requirements for the disclosure of public records by all public bodies in the state including all state agencies, county and other local governments, school boards, other boards, departments, commissions, councils, and public colleges and universities.

Who can make a Freedom of Information request?

Public documents may be requested under the Freedom of Information Act by an individual, corporation, limited liability company, partnership, firm, organization, association, governmental entity, or other legal entity.

How do I make a request under the Freedom of Information Act?
For public records in the Wayne County Treasurer's Office, click on the following link:
Treasurer FOIA Request