Payment plan agreements will have to be made through the mail or email until further notice.
To receive a payment agreement, send a request by mail or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your name, email address, phone number, and the property address and parcel number that you are concerned about.
Payment plan agreement requests can also be mailed to:
Wayne County Treasurer's Office
400 Monroe Street
Detroit, MI 48226
Interest Reduction Stipulated Payment Agreement (IRSPA)
If you are struggling to pay years of delinquent property taxes, you may qualify to be enrolled in the Interest Reduction Stipulated Payment Agreement (IRSPA). This payment plan reduces the interest rate from 18% to 6% for eligible taxpayers. To sign up, you must own and live in your home, and have a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) that proves permanent residency.Under IRSPA, all delinquencies can be bundled into one payment plan.
(IRSPA's are available throughout the year.)
Stipulated Payment Agreement (SPA)
Available to everybody, this plan allows a taxpayer to pay taxes pursuant to a payment schedule. The plan will avoid foreclosure provided that payments are submitted per the agreed upon schedule. To be effective the plan must be signed by both the taxpayer and the Treasurer's Office.
Pay As You Stay (PAYS)
Pay As You Stay (PAYS) may reduce the amount of delinquent taxes owed for lower income homeowners who qualify for their city's, township's, or village's Poverty Tax Exemption (PTE).
Because of the recent state of emergency, the Treasurer's Office has modified the timetable for the PAYS Program enrollment as outlined below.
- Starting in mid-April 2020, the WCTO will begin sending letters to eligible homeowners with approved PTEs who have delinquent property taxes. They will be encouraged to enroll into a PAYS Payment Agreement (PAYSPA) or to pay the single Lump Sum payment through our website.* The website will direct them on how to:
- pay the Reduced Amount Due in a single Lump Sum payment (includes a 10% discount), or
- enter into and sign a PAYSPA, agreeing to make monthly payments over a 3 year period (or less in some cases).
- PTE applicants who were not approved by their local municipality may be eligible for an Interest Reduction Stipulated Payment Agreement (IRSPA) or a Distressed Owner Occupant Extension (DOOE) payment plan with the WCTO.
For Help with the PTE application:
- Contact UCHC (313-963-3310) or Wayne Metro (313-388-9799), or
- Call United Way at 211 or text HELP to 85274.
*At the appropriate time and after the reopening of the WCTO to taxpayers, letters will be sent to those who have not yet taken advantage of the two PAYS payment options via our website. Those taxpayers will be given specified periods to come into the office to make payments or enter into the PAYSPA.Taxpayer Guide to PAYS
As a Veteran you will be allowed to enter into a Payment Plan without a down payment prior to March 15th of each year as long as you are able to provide one of following documents:
- Honorable Discharge Certification papers
- DD-214 Form referencing an Honorable Discharge
For further information please contact our office.
Wayne County property owners who are employed as police officers, firefighters, EMS and health care workers will be allowed to enter into payment plans with no down payment required. Identification and verification of employment will be required.