To apply for a payment plan, please download the attached Payment Plan Applications, fill them out, and mail them to:
Wayne County Treasurer's Office
400 Monroe Street
Detroit, MI 48226
Interest Reduction Stipulated Payment Agreement (IRSPA)
If you are struggling to pay years of delinquent property taxes, you may qualify to be enrolled in the Interest Reduction Stipulated Payment Agreement (IRSPA). This payment plan reduces the interest rate from 18% to 6% for eligible taxpayers. To sign up, you must own and live in your home, and have a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) that proves permanent residency.Under IRSPA, all delinquencies can be bundled into one payment plan.(IRSPA's are available throughout the year.)
Stipulated Payment Agreement (SPA)
Available to everybody, this plan allows a taxpayer to pay taxes pursuant to a payment schedule. The plan will avoid foreclosure provided that payments are submitted per the agreed upon schedule. To be effective the plan must be signed by both the taxpayer and the Treasurer's Office.
The information below may be helpful for taxpayers coming in during and after the Show Cause Hearings taking place on January 8 - 10 and January 14 - 16.
Between, March 13, 2020 and May 12, 2020: 50%
After May 13, 2020: 60%
Distressed Owner Occupant Extension (DOOE)The Distressed Owner/Occupant Extension Application extends the deadline for payment of your delinquent/forfeited taxes and thereby withholds your parcel from being offered for auction in September/October. This application is for a taxpayer experiencing financial hardship and occupies the home. The application includes a page that details the household income standards in order to be approved for the extension.
This program is not available to everyone. In order to qualify for the DOOE you must:
- Own the property and have proof of ownership through a deed with your name on it.
- Live in the property and have proof of occupancy shown through a utility bill or other document.
- Be suffering financial hardship and show that through an affidavit or other documentation showing your financial distress.
- You must have proof of your identity with a government issued driver's license or ID.
2020 SPA & DOOE Pay Dates
Please click on the links below to download the 2020 SPA &DOOE pay dates.
Payment Plan Pay Dates
Pay As You Stay (PAYS)
Pay As You Stay (PAYS) may reduce the amount of delinquent taxes owed for lower income homeowners who qualify for their city's, township's, or village's Poverty Tax Exemption (PTE).
- Beginning on April 1, 2020, the WCTO will send letters to eligible homeowners with approved PTEs who have delinquent property taxes. They will be asked to come in during specified dates after April 15 and either:
- pay the Reduced Amount Due in a single Lump Sum payment (includes a 10% discount), or
- enter into and sign a PAYS payment plan, agreeing to make monthly payments over a 3 year period (or less in some cases).
- PTE applicants who are not approved may be eligible to get into an Interest Reduction Stipulated Payment Agreement (IRSPA) or a Distressed Owner Occupant Extension (DOOE) payment plan with WCTO to avoid foreclosure.
- To initiate the process, you must first go to your local assessor's office to pick up, fill out and then submit a PTE application to your local Board of Review.
For Help with the PTE application:
- Contact UCHC (313-963-3310) or Wayne Metro (313-388-9799),
- Go to a Quicken Loan Community Fund Workshop (PTEworkshops@QuickenLoans.com), or
- Call 211 or text HELP to 85274.
As a Veteran you will be allowed to enter into a Payment Plan without a down payment prior to March 15th of each year as long as you are able to provide one of following documents:
- Honorable Discharge Certification papers
- DD-214 Form referencing an Honorable Discharge
For further information please contact our office.Veterans Resource Guide