Plat Engineering Division
Office of Wayne County Register of Deeds
Condominium Document Drop Off Process during COVID-19 Pandemic
- An appointment MUST be made for any in person visits to the Wayne County Register of Deeds Plat Engineering Department. Please contact the Wayne County Plat Engineer, Michael Collin, either by calling 313-224-5887 or emailing email@example.com to arrange a day and time to visit Plat Engineering.
- Condominium documents that have been dropped off for review by Plat Engineering will be reviewed and comments will be returned via email to the submitter of the documents. Any subsequent submittals can be done via email correspondence.
Condominium Document Recording Process during COVID-19 Pandemic
- An appointment MUST be made for the recording of condominium documents with the Wayne County Register of Deeds Plat Engineering Department. Please contact the Wayne County Plat Engineer, Michael Collin, either by calling 313-224-5887 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a day and time to bring in the condominium documents for recording.
- Bring the following items with you:
- The executed document along with any attachments
- A check for tax certification in the amount of $5 payable to Wayne County Treasurer
- A check for recording payable to Wayne County Register of Deeds. The amount per document will be $15 for the first page and $3 for each additional page
- Plat Engineering will accept the items in a through c in Item 2 above.
- Plat Engineering will submit the condominium document to the Wayne County Treasurer's office for tax certification. The Wayne County Treasurer's office is not open to the public at this time. The Wayne County Treasurer's office will perform tax certification on condominium documents one day per week. Condominium documents will be returned to Plat Engineering after tax certification. Note: If the project is in the City of Detroit, you will still be responsible for obtaining tax certification on the document from the City of Detroit Assessors office.
- Plat Engineering will submit the tax certified condominium document to the recording department of the Wayne County Register of Deeds for recording.
- After recording Plat Engineering will contact the submitter of the document to arrange to have the submitter pick up the recorded document. The submitter may also elect to have the document sent to them through the United States Postal Service.
NOTE: A mask must be worn when entering the International Center Building and the Office of Wayne County Register of Deeds.
In order to better serve you, Plat Engineering is now requiring that appointments be made with the Plat Engineer in order to conduct any business requiring the Plat Engineer. Appointments can be made by contacting the Plat Engineer by phone at (313) 224-5887 or by email email@example.com
The Plat Engineering Division of the Office of Register of Deeds reviews plats of new subdivisions, condominium master deeds and amendments to ensure compliance with state survey and land division requirements. The Chief Plat Engineer also serves as the Remonumentation Survey Representative and as advisor to the Wayne County Plat Board, which is chaired by the Register of Deeds
- The Plat Engineer supervises the Mapping Technicians. The Mapping Technicians plot acreage and legal descriptions, verify parcel tax identification numbers, verify legal descriptions and index the information into the office's land records database.
- The Plat Engineer reviews subdivions plats and sends them to the Plat Board for approval. The Plat Board consists of the Register of Deeds, County Clerk and County Treasurer.