Plat Engineering Division
The Plat Engineering Division reviews preliminary and final plats and condominium master deeds and amendments for compliance with state laws and regulations before they can be recorded. The checklists the plat engineering staff use during review of the documents are located below.
You can submit documents for review by US postal service, courier service or email (except for documents measuring 24 x 36 inches) or you can hand-deliver them to our office. Mail your documents to the attention of Plat Engineering, at Office of Register of Deeds, 400 Monroe Street, 7th Floor, Detroit, MI 48226. Email documents to the division at email@example.com . If you want to hand-deliver the document, you must schedule an appointment by calling Plat Engineer Michael Collin, P.S. at 313-224-5887 or emailing him at the address above.
The Plat Engineering Division reviews a Proprietor Plat in the follow three phases: Preliminary Plat, Tentative Final Plat and Final Plat.
- First, submit the Preliminary Plat to the Plat Engineer for review. The Plat Engineer will notify the surveyor that the Preliminary Plat has been approved or there are corrections that need to be made to the document. You will resubmit the corrected document for approval.
- Second, submit three copies of the Tentative Final Plat to the Plat Engineer for review before making the final plat. The Plat Engineer will contact the person who submitted the document and notify him or her of any changes that are needed. Once the Tentative Final Plat has been revised, resubmit it for review to ensure that all review comments have been addressed. If so, the surveyor can obtain the necessary signatures and certifications for the Final Plat.
- Third, after scheduling an appointment, bring the Final Plat with the necessary signatures, supporting documentation and all of the required checks to the Plat Engineer. The following four fees are associated with the review process by Wayne County and the State of Michigan:
1. A $20 recording and filing fee. Make the check payable to the Wayne County Register of Deeds.
2. An engineering fee for the examination and inspection of plats by the Wayne County Department of Public Services, Engineering Division. The fee for plats containing 1 to 20 lots is $400; 21 to 100 lots it is $400 plus $10 per lot over 20; and 101 or more lots is a maximum of $1,200. Make the check payable to the Wayne County Treasurer.
3. A $55 copy fee for the Office of Land Survey and Remonumentation (OLSR) to make True Copies of the approved plat. Make the check payable to the State of Michigan.
4. A State Plat Review fee of $150 for the first four lots plus $15 for each additional lot. Make a separate check payable to the State of Michigan.
The Plat Engineer will submit the Final Plat to the Plat Board for approval. Then, we submit the Final Plat to the Office of Land Survey and Remonumentation. After the OLSR approves the Final Plat for recording, it will return the plat to the Plat Engineering Division to be recorded. The Plat Engineer will notify the surveyor or proprietor that the plat has been recorded. The Plat Engineer will email a copy of the Wayne County Plat Recording Certificate to the surveyor or proprietor.
If you submit a condominium master deed or amendment, the Plat Engineer or Plat Engineer Analyst will review your document for compliance. One of them will contact you by email or phone to inform you of corrections that must be made before the document can be recorded. Once the document is approved for recording, schedule an appointment to bring the document in to be recorded.
Bring the following with you to the appointment:1. A check in the correct amount payable to the Wayne County Treasurer. The Treasurer charges this fee to certify that no taxes are owed. The Wayne County Treasurer fees to get your document certified are: $5.00 for the first document with up to 25 parcel identification numbers. If the document contains more than 25 parcel identification numbers, the Deed Certification Fee will be $5.00 plus 20 cents for each additional parcel over 25.
2. A check payable to the Wayne County Register of Deeds. The recording fee per document is $15 for the first page and $3 for each additional page.
Note: If the project is in the City of Detroit, you must have the City of Detroit Assessor's Office certify that no taxes are owed before your appointment with Plat Engineering.The Plat Engineer or Plat Engineer Analyst will have the document recorded. Afterwards, one of them will contact you by email or phone to schedule a time for you to collect the document. You may elect to have the document returned to you by regular mail.
PLAT REVIEW CHECKLIST CONDOMINIUM REVIEW CHECKLIST