A notary public in the State of Michigan is an officer appointed by the Michigan Secretary of State.
- Application for Michigan Notary Public
Commissioned notaries possess the power to affirm the authenticity of an individual's signature. In addition,commissioned notaries can administer oaths and perform other legal acts that are customarily performed within their jurisdictions.
Please note that before a notary performs any notarial act, the notary is required to read the Notary Public Act, 2003 PA 238 (MCL 55.261, et seq.) An electronic copy of the Act may be found on the State Legislature's website at: www.legislature.mi.gov.
To apply to be a Notary Public in the State of Michigan, you must be at least 18 years of age, as well as a resident of the county in which you are requesting your appointment.
An application must be completed with your personal information, stating the appropriate information.
Please call the Office of the Great Seal at: (517) 373.2531 with any questions. Or, you may visit www.michigan.gov/sos.
- Complete the appropriate application for the Michigan Notary Public Commission. [Per the Michigan Department of State's Office of the Great Seal: "While your commissioned name may differ from your full name. However, it should match the name you will use on notorized documents."]
- File a $10,000.00 Surety Bond with the county clerk's office in the county in which you reside in; please note if you are not a resident of Michigan you must file to become a notary public in the county where you will do business. You may obtain a Surety Bond by checking the telephone book for bonding agencies or insurance companies.
- You will then be given your Oath of Office by a Deputy County Clerk; you must swear/affirm to its contents and sign the application exactly how you will notarize documents.
- Then, you will pay the $10.00 fee (by way of cash or money order). You will receive a receipt and your application, which you will send to the Office of the Great Seal (within 90 days of taking your oath).
- Please mail your completed application (and $10.00 check or money order made out to The State of Michigan) to:
Michigan Department of State
Office of the Great Seal
7064 Crowner Blvd.
Lansing, Michigan 48918-1750
- If your application is approved, your notary commission will be mailed directly to you at the address you provide on your application.
The Wayne County Clerk's Office currently has a limit of 10 Notarial Acknowledgments per person and per appointment.
This practice is due to limited staffing and in fairness to all customers. Thank you for your cooperation.