Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control

Important Soil Erosion Permit Information
Wayne County government offices are closed through April 13, 2020 due to the coronavirus emergency. We are unable to accept SESC applications in person or via delivery service at this time. Permit application documents and fees are best submitted via US Mail. Large plan sets are best submitted electronically through a cloud based storage service. Please note that at this time, we are only initiating plan reviews and processing permits for critical infrastructure projects.
The Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Program investigates potential loss of soils and landscape through ongoing and proposed construction activities. Any earth changes which are the result of development of previously undisturbed areas may cause large amounts of soil and sediment to enter the waters of the state.

As the County Enforcing Agency (CEA), this program enforces P.A. 451, Part 91 Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act and the Wayne County Soil Sedimentation Control Ordinance No.2001-759 in 35 communities. More than 300 new construction projects are permitted each year.

Soil Erosion Permit and Application Information

Any earth change/disturbance over one (1) acre in size and/or within 500 feet of a water of the state, (lake, stream, wetland, drain) within Wayne County needs a Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control (S.E.S.C.) Permit. If the earth change/disturbance is in one of the communities Wayne County regulates (see map) then you MUST apply and have a Wayne County SESC permit issued before ANY earthwork can begin.

The Wayne County Permit Packages can be downloaded below. The Construction Permit Application is for any construction project whereas the Single Family Residence (S.F.R.) Permit Application is for the construction of a single home within an existing subdivision or a single home on a parcel of land. This application can then be used to apply for the permit.


Patrick Cullen
Division Director
(734) 326-3936

Donna Anderson
Administrative Assistant
(734) 326-3936

Kesh Raizada
(734) 326-3936

Jerry Webb

(734) 326-3936

Soil Erosion Jurisdictions

The following communities are covered under Wayne County's Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Program:
Allen Park, Brownstown Twp., Canton Twp., Dearborn Heights, Detroit, Ecorse, Flat Rock, Garden City, Gibraltar, Grosse Ile, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Hamtramck, Harper Woods, Highland Park, Huron Twp, Inkster, Lincoln Park, Melvindale, Northville, Northville Twp., Plymouth, Plymouth Twp., Redford Twp., River Rouge, Riverview, Rockwood, Romulus, Sumpter Twp., Van Buren Twp., Wayne, Woodhaven

The following communities are Municipal Enforcing Agencies. Contact that community's Building Department for Permit information in these areas:
Belleville, Dearborn, Livonia, Southgate, Taylor, Trenton, Westland, Wyandotte

The following Authorized Public Agencies (APAs) have been designated by the MDEQ to undertake earth change activities without having to obtain SESC permits from the county or municipal enforcing agencies:
City of Belleville, City of Detroit DPW, Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, City of Detroit Parks and Recreation Department, City of Romulus, City of Trenton, Wayne County Drains, Wayne County Roads

Soil Erosion Juridiction Map (PDF)