Public ServicesThe Department of Public Services (DPS) consists of the Public Services Group (PSG) and the Environmental Services Group (ESG). The DPS is one of the largest departments in Wayne County government, employing close to 700 personnel with an annual operating budget of nearly $300 million. DPS employees oversee, maintain and operate the county's unique assets and complex infrastructure for nearly 1.8 million residents.
The mission of DPS is to provide roads, buildings and park maintenance services; recreational opportunities; as well as high quality, cost-effective storm water, wastewater, and solid waste services to Wayne County residents, municipalities, businesses and visitors so they can experience safe, convenient and reliable travel, abundant recreational opportunities, proficient and well-managed drains and environmentally sound solid waste disposal.
This mission will be accomplished through the Road Maintenance, Equipment, Engineering, Administration, Parks, Facilities Management, Land Resource Management, and Water Quality Management divisions. All services will be will be provided with our customers in mind and our values of efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability incorporated.
The Department's vision is to lead the nation in providing exemplary and efficient services that continuously promote and enhance the highest quality of life for those who choose to live, work, visit and play in Wayne County.
Our core values are:
- Honesty- We are transparent and abide by ethical standards that govern our work.
- Accountability- We take full responsibility for our decision and all outcomes.
- Dedication - We are committed to providing the highest quality of services through empowered and well-equipped staff.
- Diversity- We respect and promote uniqueness among individuals by valuing their ideas and experiences.
- Innovation - We are creative, productive and resourceful in serving Wayne County.
Public Services is made up six divisions:
Administration; Buildings; Engineering; Equipment; Parks and Recreation; and Roads. Utilize the buttons below to access more information about the divisions and learn about the many services they provide.
DPS Strategic Business Plan