CIU Review Request
The CIU Case Review Application (Download a PDF of the Application Form) is issued by the Conviction Integrity Unit (CIU) of the Wayne County Prosecuting Attorney's Office. The CIU strongly encourages applicants to use this form when asking the CIU to review a criminal conviction.
Please read carefully the "Eligibility" and "Advice of Rights" sections below before you submit the form. You should only complete and submit the form after you have confirmed that you are eligible for review, and only if you are sure you wish to request a review by the CIU.
Please try to provide all the information requested by the form. Your request can be considered more quickly if the information described in this form is placed on the form at the time you make your request for review by CIU.
Before you prepare the form, be sure that you are eligible for review by CIU. The Conviction Integrity Unit only will accept requests for review that meet all of the following standards:
- The form must be prepared, or authorized, by a living person. CIU does not review convictions obtained against a person who is deceased.
- The conviction(s) must have been prosecuted by the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office and obtained in a Court in Wayne County, Michigan. CIU does not review convictions obtained in any other State, in any federal proceeding, or in any Michigan county other than Wayne County.
- The CIU only will review a criminal conviction where the defendant claims that he or she is actually innocent of the offense of conviction. "Actual innocence" means that the defendant bore no criminal responsibility at all for the offense.
- A defendant only may seek review from the CIU after a final judgment of conviction has been entered and a sentence has been imposed.
- A claim of "actual innocence" must be supported by new evidence that was not known to the judge or jury which returned the verdict of guilty against the defendant. This new evidence must provide a substantial basis to believe that the defendant is actually innocent, which generally means that the evidence exonerates the defendant from any criminal responsibility for the offense.
Advice of Rights
If the space provided is not sufficient or if you would prefer to submit an application by mail, please download a PDF of the Application Form (click here), place your additional answers, if any, on a separate page, and mail the application to the following address. Please type your answers or print them legibly in ink.
Wayne County Prosecutor's Office
Conviction Integrity Unit
Frank Murphy Hall of Justice
1441 St Antoine,
Detroit, MI 48226