Font Size:


I will not be able to vote in person on Election Day. How do I obtain an absent voter's ballot?
By making a request in writing to the election official responsible for administering the election. The written request may be on a preprinted application form supplied by your city/township, in a letter or on a postcard. A written request must include a statutory reason why you will be eligible to receive an absentee ballot and your signature. Call your city/township clerk and ask for an absent voter's ballot application. You may vote absentee if you are registered to vote and are 60 years of age or more, unable to vote without assistance, expect to be absent from your community for the entire time the polls are open, are in jail awaiting arraignment or trial, have been appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside of your precinct of residence or unable to attend the polls due to religious beliefs.
How do I have my name placed on the permanent absent voter list?
Permanent absent voter lists are maintained by city and township clerks. Contact your clerk and asked to be placed on the permanent absent voter list. The clerk will then mail you an application for absent voter's ballot before each election.
Is my voter registration permanent?
Yes, however, you must reregister if you move from one community to another.
I registered to vote but have not received my voter I.D. card -- when will I receive one?
The issuance of voter I.D. cards is a function of your city or township clerk. It would be necessary to contact your city or township clerk to determine when or if your card was mailed.
Where do I vote on Election Day?
You may determine your polling location by checking the voter I.D. card issued by your city or township clerk. If you have misplaced your card, you may phone your city/ township Clerk. Polling place information is available online by clicking Where do I vote?
Can I "split my ticket" in a primary election?
No. Michigan Election Law does not require you to publicly declare a political party preference before voting in state primary elections, however, you may vote only for candidates from one political party on the partisan ballot. In a state general election you may chose from candidates of any political party as well as candidates without party affiliation, commonly known as independent candidates.
May I receive assistance when voting?
Yes. Under state law, you may request assistance from the precinct board for voting assistance. When a voter asks the precinct board for voting assistance, two election inspectors who have expressed a preference for different political parties must provide the needed help. Under federal law, a voter who is blind, disabled or unable to read or write may be assisted with his or her ballot by any person of the voter's choice, other than the voter's employer or agent of that employer or an officer or agent of a union the voter belongs to.
May I bring my child with me to vote?
Yes. A minor child may accompany a voter in the voting booth at an election. Anyone under the age of 18 years is regarded as a minor child under state election law.
I would like to become an election inspector (election worker), how do I become appointed?
City/township election commissions appoint election inspectors. Contact your city or township clerk and ask for an election inspector application. Election inspectors must be registered voters in the county in which he or she is appointed to serve.