Child Abuse Unit
- Assaults, physical abuse or sexual abuse of children 12 or younger (The age limit applies to the age of the complainant at the time of the warrant request, not at the time of the incident.)
- Sexual assault of victims between the ages of 13 and 15 years old (The age limit applies to the age of the complainant at the time of the warrant request, not at the time of the incident.)
- Individuals with a mental impairment.
- Individuals with other special needs, such as sight, speech or hearing impairments.
- Internet crimes involving sexual abuse.
- Homicides of children two years and younger.
- Cases where a child 12 or younger is a necessary witness at exam or trial.
- Cases where an adult leaves a loaded gun accessible to a child whether or not there is injury or death.
- Cases where a child is left alone in a motor vehicle.
- Individually selected cases that do not meet the above criteria, but need similar special attention.
HOW TO REPORT A CHILD ABUSE CASEA child abuse case must be reported in the city where the crime occurred. If the crime happened in Detroit, it should be reported in the district where the crime occurred.
A police investigator will contact you regarding the report and do the following:
- Personally interview the child victim or arrange a KidsTALK program interview.
- Complete other necessary investigation.
- Determine whether a warrant request should be submitted to the Prosecutorâ€™s Office.
- When a warrant request is received by the Prosecutorâ€™s Office, a specially trained child abuse prosecutor will review the warrant and do the following:
- Assign a child advocate to the case.
- Interview the child victim.
- Determine whether the offender should be charged with a crime, and, if so, which crime(s).
- If the prosecutor authorizes the warrant, the case begins.
CHILD ADVOCATES GIVE SUPPORT TO THE CHILD AND FAMILY MEMBERS AND ALSO PROVIDE INFORMATION ABOUT:
- Court dates
- Court procedures
- Your rights
- Counseling referrals
Prosecutorâ€™s Office Child Abuse Unit: (313) 224-8082 or (313) 224-5857
Prosecutorâ€™s Office Juvenile Court Division: (313) 833-3300 or (313) 833-3107
Child Protective Services: 1-855-444-3911
Detroit Police Department Child Abuse Unit: (313) 596-5329
Detroit Police Department Sex Crimes Unit: (313) 596-1950