Font Size:

Civil/Family FAQs

What forms of payment are accepted?
You can mail in money order payments; call in credit/debit card payments to Government Payment Service, or pay in person with cash, money order, and business checks. We do not accept personal checks.
Can I pay with my debit /credit card?
Yes you can, but you have to call the Government Payment Services. Give them the pay location code and your control or case number. They will give you a reference number and fax us a copy of your information for verification. They will also charge you a 5% fee. There is also an ATM machine located across from the escalators on the 2nd floor CAYMC building.
How long does it take if I call Government Payment Services and pay by debit/credit card?
Usually takes 5 to 10 minutes to receive the fax confirmation.
Can I pay with a personal check?
We do not accept personal checks. We accept business checks.
What is the process for getting an escrow disbursement?
This office must receive an original order from the Court in order to disburse funds. The individual may bring a copy of the order so that we may enter the name, address and phone number into the system. Only the person who is named on the order will receive the disbursement.
How long does it take to receive a disbursement?
Anywhere between 2 to 3 weeks.
What forms of identification are acceptable?
You must have a current government issued ID (i.e. driver's license, state ID, MDOC inmate tag). Expired IDs are not acceptable.
I received a letter stating I owed for a NSF check, what does this mean?
The attorney can no longer file cases with the court until the NSF has been cleared for the fees filed plus a $25.00 fee for the NSF. If this fee is not paid, a letter will go out to the Attorney Grievance Committee in an attempt to resolve.
I was ordered to pay a fine or court cost, what should I do?
If you've been ordered to pay fines/court costs you should have an order instructing this office to accept payment and what you're paying for. We keep the original order and give you a copy and receipt.
I would like to get a balance on an escrow account, what do I need to do?
You may come to the cash office located in room #201 of the CAYMC building and we can verify the balance.
I would like a refund for a transaction.
Refunds are only given if the manager located in the area in which you purchased your item signs off on the receipt and indicates what the refund is for. Once that has been completed, the receipt is then given to the cash office and the refund is processed. If the transaction took place the day the refund is requested, you may receive your refund that same day. If the transaction occurred on a prior date, you will receive a refund by mail within 2-3 weeks.
My business check is for too much money can I change the amount on the check?
No. The Wayne County Cash Offices will not accept any checks that have been altered.
I mailed in a money order for too much money. When and how do I get my change due?
We will submit information to the Treasury Department so that a check will be generated to pay you the difference. This will take 3 to 4 weeks from the date of the transaction.
My business check or money order has not cleared yet, what do I do?
Please allow 2 to 3 weeks from the date you mailed in the business check or money order to make sure that there is not a delay in the mail process. Please do not put a stop payment on the check or you will be charged an NSF fee plus the amount of the transaction. We will resolve the matter in the cash office.