Font Size:

Elder Abuse Unit

The Elder Abuse Unit vertically prosecutes cases where the victim is at least 65 years of age and /or a vulnerable adult. A vulnerable adult is an individual, age 18 or older, who, because of age, developmental disability, mental illness or physical disability, requires supervision or personal care, or lacks the personal and social skills required to live independently.

In addition, the EA unit handles serious assaultive crimes and major financial crimes. It specifically prosecutes crimes targeting elderly or vulnerable persons, crimes in nursing homes, or adult foster care facilities.


  • The Michigan Dept. of Human Services 24 hr. hotline to report elder abuse: 1-855-444-3911
  • Legal Hotline for Michigan Seniors: 1-800-347-5297
  • The Elder Law and Advocacy Center, Neighborhood Legal Services of Michigan: 1-313-937-8291
  • DHS Child and Adult Licensing complaints: 1-866-856-0126
  • DHS Nursing Home complaints: 1-800-882-6006
  • DHS Eldercare Services: 1-800-677-1116
  • Michigan Office of Services to the Aging: 1-517-373-7692
  • Guardian & Estates Ombudsman: 1-313-224-0589


What should I do if I am the victim of Elder Abuse or if someone I know is a victim?
Make a report with your local police agency
Who should I call to report suspected Vulnerable Adult Abuse?
Call the Vulnerable Adult Abuse Hotline ad 1-800-996-6228. The hotline is open 24 hours a day. All calls are strictly confidential.
Does the Prosecutor's Elder Abuse Unit handle probate or civil cases?
If you have a civil or probate matter call Neighborhood Legal Service at (313) 937-8291.
What should I do if I suspect someone is being abused in a nursing home?
To report suspected nursing home abuse call Citizens for Better Care at (313) 833-9548.