Wayne County Green Schools
Together, Wayne County and Your School can build a better environment!
The Wayne County Department of Public Services (DPS) and partner Wayne County Regional Educational Service Agency (Wayne RESA) will again implement this program and recognize schools that achieve 10 or more energy saving and environmental activities in an academic year. The activities are set up in categories: Recycling, Energy Saving, Environmental Protection, and Miscellaneous. A fifth category allows you to Propose Your Own Activity. This is an annual recognition, so schools must re-apply each year to remain a Wayne County Michigan Green School. All schools recognized as a Wayne County Michigan Green School will receive a large indoor/outdoor Michigan Green Schools banner and a certificate signed by the County CEO to proudly display as your school continues to work to reduce energy costs and protect Michigan's precious natural resources.
New and Important Information
- The current Michigan Green Schools program specifies 27 energy saving and environmental activities that schools can complete toward certification as a Michigan Green School.
- Additional credit (up to 1 additional point) MAY be awarded to schools that provide evidence of student learning as well as higher levels of complexity and effort in the planning and execution of the activity/project.
- The school coordinator or team leader must complete the Activity Verification Form (or similar format) with proper documentation describing how the school will perform the activities.
- Schools must adhere to the categories and activities as described in the application, which are included in P.A. 301 (2010).
- Wayne County schools can achieve the following Green School Designations, depending on the number of specified energy saving and environmental activities they complete:
|Designation of Activities||Points to Complete|
If you have any questions, contact Michael Flowers by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 734-326-4469
or contact Susan Thompson by email at email@example.com or by phone at 734-326-5515.
- Guidelines for the 2019-2020 Green School Program
- Activity Verification Form for the 2019-2020 Green School Program
- Teacher Resources List
- Cool and Unusual Ideas
- Public Act 301 of 2010
- Summary of Wayne County's 2019 Green School Program
- 2019 Green Schools Recognition Ceremony Program including a list of all participating schools
2019 Green School Logo Design Contest WinnerCongratulations to Aafiyah Bustani, a 5th grader from Oakman Elementary School in Dearborn!
The winner is Aafiyah Bustani, a 5th grader from Oakman Elementary School in Dearborn. Her logo did the best at representing the Wayne County Michigan Green Schools Program. The intent of the Green Schools Program is to encourage students to participate in activities which help them learn about preserving natural resources, protect the environment and promote energy efficiency and savings. Aafiyah's logo shows this with Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, wildlife protection and a healthy green outdoors.