(Wayne County, MI) - In an effort to better serve the public, Wayne County Clerk Cathy M. Garrett will begin issuing Detroit birth and death certificates on JANUARY 27, 2014.
The temporary delay in service is due to the information and technology transition.
Through this partnership with the City of Detroit, Wayne County residents will greatly benefit from this newly added convenience.
- Detroit birth and death records can be obtained at 640 Temple Street - Suite 625; Detroit, MI 48201 with SAME-DAY SERVICE BEGINNING ON JANUARY 27, 2014.
- Hours of operation will be Monday - Friday, 8 am - 3 pm.
- Parking for patrons is absolutely free.
- Individuals can send City of Detroit mail requests to The Office of the Wayne County Clerk - City of Detroit Vitals; 640 Temple Street - Suite 625; Detroit, MI 48201.
- Please note that all mail requests must be sent in letter form and include the signature, return address and phone number of the individual requesting a record.
- A photocopy of the requestor's I.D. must be included with birth record requests.
- Payment must be included (via money order to The Wayne County Clerk's Office) for requests, as it costs $22 for the first certified copy of a birth or death certificate and $7 for any additional copies.
For current information on the process regarding obtaining a City of Detroit birth or death certificate via the Wayne County Clerk's Office, please visit our website: