Six cities in the Wayne County Commission's 1st District will receive a combined $306,314.70 in Community Development Block Grant money, pending approval from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The Commission voted unanimously May 19 to approve the 2016-2020 Consolidated Plan and the Physical Year 2016 Action Plan, as recommended by the county's Department of Health, Veterans & Community Wellness. The nearly $7.5 million plan includes nearly $5 million in CDBG money for the 27 cities and seven townships for which Wayne County handles the applications. There are 34 cities and nine townships in the county.
The 1st District is represented by Commissioner Tim Killeen, D-Detroit.
The breakdown by 1st District city is:
- Grosse Pointe: $38,000 for Americans with Disabilities Act warning plates.
- Grosse Pointe Farms: $38,421.45 for sidewalks and a senior services program.
- Grosse Pointe Park: $55,975 for ADA-compliant sidewalk improvements.
- Grosse Pointe Shores: $19,500 for a jobs project and Pointe Area Assisted Transportation Services (PAATS) senior transportation.
- Grosse Pointe Woods: $57,215.98 for housing rehabilitation, minor home repairs and PAATS senior transportation.
- Harper Woods: $97,202.27 for housing rehabilitation and PAATS senior transportation.
"It's great that this money is going to the cities for these projects, which benefit the greater good," Commissioner Killeen said. "This money will help many residents of the six cities in the long run."
The 1st District also includes Detroit's lower eastside, but Detroit handles its own CDBG application.
The Consolidated and Action plans, pending HUD approval, will run from July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2020. The plans identify housing and public infrastructure projects, and social service and other community development needs.
The plans were discussed by the Commission's Committee on Economic Development, of which Commissioner Killeen is vice-chair. The committee voted unanimously to send the matter to the full Commission for final consideration.