Pay As You Stay (PAYS) is a new law that is supported by Wayne County Treasurer Eric Sabree, Wayne County Executive Warren Evans, and City of Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan. PAYS goal is to reduce the amount of delinquent taxes owed for lower income taxpayers who qualify for their city's or township's Poverty Tax Exemption (PTE).
- PAYS can benefit those taxpayers who:
- are owner-occupants,
- have a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE),
- are approved for a Poverty Tax Exemption (PTE), and
- have delinquent taxes.
- Pending approval of PAYS legislation, letters will be sent from the Treasurer's office starting April 1, 2020 to those taxpayers who we know qualify for PAYS. Qualification partly relies on the WCTO receiving all necessary information from each taxpayer's city or township.
- Qualified taxpayers will be asked to come into the WCTO and apply for the PAYS payment plan during a specified time period after April 15, 2020.
- Anyone deemed eligible for the PAYS program will not get foreclosed even though the PAYS start date is after the foreclosure deadline if they enter into an IRSPA or DOOE payment plan.