Click here to edit your link text
The Wayne County Department of Health, Veterans & Community Wellness Communicable Disease (CD) Section gets reports of diseases such as meningitis, E. coli, and West Nile virus. Health care providers, labs and hospitals are required to report these diseases to us. The CD nurses will talk to patients to teach them about how to prevent the disease in the future. We have many good resources to help everyone learn about different diseases and what you should do when you get sick.
For disease specific information please see Pubic Information & Fact Sheets.
Sexually Transmitted Disease Control
- Provides surveillance and control of sexually transmitted diseases including syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Provides case and contact follow-up to ensure that clients are adequately treated.
- Provides referrals to the Social Hygiene Clinic.
- Provides information to the community.
- For more information on public health aspects of HIV/STD/Hepatitis in Michigan, click here.
Wayne County Department of Public Health STD Toolkit
Communicable Disease Investigations
- Conducts investigations and surveillance of communicable diseases within Wayne-County (outside the City of Detroit)
- Investigated outbreaks of illnesses
- Provide information regarding illnesses to schools, daycares, medical providers and the community
Tuberculosis Case Management
- Provides Direct Observation Therapy to active TB cases
- Conducts contact investigations for those exposed to active tuberculosis
Vaccines for Children
- Provides oversight of Immunization Program to medical providers in the jurisdiction wishing to participate in the Vaccines for Children Program
- Conduct site visits at VFC-participating offices to monitor compliance to state and federal VFC guidelines
- Provides immunization-related materials to providers and the community
Sexually Transmitted Disease/HIV Control & Surveillance
- Provides surveillance and control of sexually transmitted diseases including syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia
- Provides case and contact follow-up to ensure that clients are adequately treated
- Provides HIV counseling, testing, and referral services
- Provides HIV partner notification as needed
- Provides referrals to the Social Hygiene Clinic
- Provides information to the community
- For more information on public health aspects of HIV/STD/STIs in Michigan, click here:
- For more information on public health aspects of Hepatitis in Michigan, click here: