Font Size:

Report a Road Hazard

File A Damage Claim

If you believe your car was damaged as a result of hazardous road conditions, such as potholes, you may be able to receive reimbursement from the owner of the road [city, county, or state]. Contact the appropriate city, county or the state and file a damage claim. Claims filed with Wayne County are decided on a case-by-case basis. Please be advised that under governmental immunity laws, you must show that Wayne County failed to maintain the actual road in reasonable repair to prove a road defect claim. You also must show that Wayne County knew of the condition and had an opportunity to repair it, or that the condition existed for more than 30 days.

If you wish to file a claim for damages sustained by your vehicle along a roadway, you'll want to follow the following procedures.

File A Damage Claim

Report A Road Hazard

Did you just hit a man-eating pothole or dodge a mattress on a freeway that fell off a truck? Maybe you just passed through an intersection where the traffic signal wasn't working or saw a missing stop sign. We want to know about it so we can take care of it. Here's how you can help us solve your road problems in Wayne County:

Report hazards at 1-888-ROAD CREW

By calling this 24-hour, toll-free number, you will talk to a road maintenance employee who will take your information and direct it to the appropriate crew for action. Don't worry if the hazard you report is in Wayne County, but may not be on a county-operated road. We'll take any report that isn't ours and pass it along immediately to the appropriate city or state agency.

Report A Road Hazard Online