Share:
Honoring the 60th Anniversary of the Spirit of Detroit

Happy 60th Anniversary to the Spirit of Detroit! The world-renowned sculpture, created and envisioned by the sculptor Marshall M. Fredericks as an image representing hope, progress, and the "spirit of man", was commissioned in 1955 and dedicated in September of 1958. What makes this piece of art particularly special is that it was given its name by the people of Detroit.

A wonderful ceremony commemorating this occasion was held this afternoon in the Coleman Young Municipal Center on the 13th floor, and Wayne County's Director of Public Services Beverly Watts was on hand to present a special proclamation honoring the occasion to Detroit-Wayne Joint Building Authority Chair Sharon Madison, who did an excellent job hosting the event.